Friday, 25 June 2010

My Friday

T-shirt making for my 6 years old's 'Sport' party.

Experiment in yogurt making

Cupcake making for said party


Consumption of many large cups of coffee


The start of my Elderflower Champagne experiment


Add to that, 1 hour of weeding at my allotment, a whizz around the supermarket, laundry, preparing of food for party, holding a sports party for a bunch of 6 year olds, trying to fit in a quick 30minute run to try and keep fit..................I won't go on...
Running a home is a full time job - as a 'stay at home' parent I often feel I have to justify my time at home, but the reality is I am busy every single day. My two boys (age 6 and 8) are now both at primary school daily between 9am -2.35pm. This past year, since my youngest started school I have been trying to find a rhythm to my week - I tutor OAP's in the use of computers (I used to be an IT Trainer prior to having children), volunteer at the school, helping with the weekly computer lessons, I cook and bake, I clean, I grocery shop, I do the laundry, I work in my allotment and grow veggies for our table and just like that 2:30pm comes round all too quick.
I have been looking for a paid job recently, even attended an interview, but school hours and school holidays dictate when I can work, and sadly I think to many employers I am just not that employable. I have however found this past year a very rewarding and satisfying time of my life. My crafting keeps my sane and motivated, but I struggle daily with the inner turmoil of what to do with my future whilst still managing to keep a happy balanced family life, a life I have made sacrifice's and worked so hard to have. I know I am not alone, many women feel the same as me, but I wanted to champion us 'stay at home' parents who are contributing to society by nurturing and raising good little people with hopefully wholesome values for their future lives..

3 comments:

  1. Exactly the kind of balance I am seeking - want to start doing some more work, but not that involves crazy childcare ...
    Do you have Alice Fowler's Edible Garden book? i love it. i was also trying to make Elderflower Cordial but couldn't find any wild elderflowers in glasgow!
    jolene
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. hear, hear. Staying at home is a full-time job - I find it more tiring and, at times, more stressful than my last paid job in the pharmaceutical industry! Being a sahm is not, imo, the 'easy' option.

    I am not even thinking of returning to work before my youngest starts reception in 2011 and am worried about my employability - and I've lost count of the number of people who have asked me, since he turned 2, when I'm going back to work. I don't want to yet and doubt whether it'd be easy to find work if I did.

    p.s. I am coveting your kitchen tiles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes...why is it that society only seems to value labour thats paid.....women do most of the worlds work for no wage!FACT.

    ReplyDelete