Wednesday, 15 September 2010

Hats, Hats and more Hats!


Meet my latest crochet creations - 'Mummy' and 'Baby' deerstalker hats.  Simply made on the round with extra ear flaps and brims added at the end. I made the bigger hat using chunky yarn (I managed to crochet this in one night!) and the baby using a finer (maybe 4ply) wool, which took me 4 nights to make.  I have to admit I prefer the finish of the smaller finer stitched hat, probably nicer for a little delicate head, but I was pretty sick of crocheting it come the finish.



I was kindly asked by Gill in a comment from my last post to recommend an easy hat pattern. I have 2 old faithfuls I pretty much stick to - a side to side chunky hat, and one made on the round, as shown above. I have written out a couple vague patterns I thought I would share with you as there aren't really any hard and fast rules regarding strict sizes of hats, I usually adjust as I go.

lets start with the 'Side to Side' Ribbed Hat.


Made using entirely the half double crochet stitch, this beanie has been crocheted as a flat rectangle, sewn together into a tube with a quick running stitch around the top with matching yarn and pulled tight to close the top.
I have made this pattern for a new born size, but it is completely adaptable, add more stitches to increase the depth of the hat, add more rows to increase the circumference.

This pattern is for the 0-3 month size only. 5.5mm hook & chunky yarn.

CH 22.

Row 1: HDC in 3rd ch from hook and each st across, ch 2, turn. (20 HDC)

Row 2: HDC in each st across, ch 2, turn (20 hdc)

Row 3 - 25: Repeat row 2. (or until hat is required width)


Join work end-to-end and Slip Stitch or sew up the side. Fasten off and weave in the ends. Turn right side out.

Once you have created the 'tube', make a running stitch with matching yarn around the top and then pull tight to close.
Weave any loose end into the inside of the hat, and fold up brim.

‘On the Round’ Basic Hat Pattern

If you know the basic principles of crocheting on the round, making a hat is very easy. So I have jotted down some steps for you to follow to make up your own hat pattern:-



begin by crocheting a flat circle,* until it is the diameter of the crown of your head (approx 15 -20cm)



Once you have reached your required diameter, continue to crochet around and around and around...until desired length


If you want your hat shape to look a bit more like this, decrease stitches as you crochet down. Make sure you decrease evenly for a uniform shape, but not too much or it will be too tight!



If you'd prefer a more A-line hat, Increase your stitches gradually as you work down

Keep trying on your hat as you go, that way you'll know if you need to decrease/increase stitches, and you should get a perfect fit.

Crochet a bit longer than needed if you want to allow for a brim to be turned up.

**Note** How to crochet a flat circle

R1: Ch2, 6sc in 2nd ch from hook (6)

R2: Sc 2 in each Sc around (12)

R3: *Sc 1, 2sc in next sc* x6 (18)

R4: *Sc 2, 2sc in next sc* x6 (24)

R5: *Sc 3, 2sc in next sc* x6 (30)

R6: *Sc 4, 2sc in next sc* x6 (36)

.....and so on, you will see a pattern forming, each round is increased by 6 stitches. I find I do have to count the stitches as I am crocheting at this point.

I hope these patterns help to inspire you, but lastly one question - do I look like 'mad crochet woman' in this hat? Will they laugh at me at the school gates??

5 comments:

  1. Hi Elaine
    Thanks for the help with hat patterns! I'm new to all this but I'm going to give it a go!!
    Lovely to see you have red hair! Two of my boys are redheads
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics and clear instructions Elaine yet another project on my growing to do list xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hats. There are not a lot of deers here (just the odd deer farm) but I think the deer stalker hat would look a treat on my grandson. Kim :)

    ReplyDelete