Monday, 25 October 2010

Pattern for a Cheery jam-Jar Cover


I made another jam-jar cover last night, and am already thinking about starting a third! I mean, you can never have enough cheery pots to keep your bits and bobs in...



I have written a quick pattern for any beginners who fancy a go, they use us hardly any yarn and are a great quick-fix when you fancy an easy project

Jam Jar Covers (written in US crochet terms)

Note, the gauge is unimportant - i used double knitting yarn with a size 4mm hook

Step 1. Begin by crocheting a circle the diameter of the base of your jam -jar

**Note** How to crochet a flat circle

R1: Ch2, 6sc in 2nd ch from hook (6)
R2: Sc 2 in each Sc around (12)
R3: *Sc 1, 2sc in next sc* x6 (18)
R4: *Sc 2, 2sc in next sc* x6 (24)
R5: *Sc 3, 2sc in next sc* x6 (30)
R6: *Sc 4, 2sc in next sc* x6 (36)
.....and so on, you will see a pattern forming, each round is increased by 6 stitches. I find I do have to count the stitches as I am crocheting at this point (or you might need less rounds depending on size of jar)

Step 2.  Once you have crocheted your circle (if in doubt about size, err on the smaller side for your diameter, as the cover will stretch around your jam-jar, this is preferable to a 'baggy' cover!)  continue round in a spiral (don't bother joining rounds) until you have crocheted the height of your jar -

Step 3. I crocheted a frilly edging around the top
*sc, hdc,dc,hdc,sc into first stitch, s.s into next*, and repeat * to *all the way round

Step 4.  If you like you can embellish with a ribbon or a button or two.

Step 5. Slip your jam-jar into it's nice new cover, and stand back and admire!

4 comments:

  1. Fab!! I'm going to have a go at this, I can't follow patterns but am hoping I might be able to do this as they look so lovely, thanks for sharing x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. these might go well in your sale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these, I'm gonna make myself some for sure.

    ReplyDelete