Sunday, 28 November 2010

The snow just keeps on snowing...

I know I'm going on about it, but this amount of snow at this time of year is unprecedented.  It's been a day of sub zero temps, blizzards and very little day light - this photo was taken at 2:30 in the afternoon, and the street lights have already come on! On a cheerier note, I made myself a new snow hat last night whilst watching a few episodes of Lost (season 6) on DVD - modeled in the above photo with my littlest boy who was so keen to get in on the photo shoot, I found the pattern on A Beautiful Mess blog.  It's basically a hood, with some plaited ties to keep it close to your face and nice and cosy, which indeed it was.

Speaking of cosy, look what I baked today:-


English Muffins of all things! I have never attempted these before, but they looked pretty easy in the new baking book I received for my birthday, and as son number one loves anything that can be toasted I gave them a whirl and they turned out a treat!


Here's the simple recipe for anyone who fancies giving them a go:-

English Muffins

450g / 1 lb white bread flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 sachet of dried yeast
250 ml /9 fl oz lukewarm water
125 ml/ 4 fl oz natural yogurt
40g/ 1.5 oz semolina (or polenta)

Mix flour, salt, sugar and yeast in bowl.  Add water and yogurt and stir until dough begins to come together.  Knead the dough on a floured surface for 5-10 mins until smooth and elastic.  Shape dough into a ball and cover with damp tea towel and leave to rise for 30 -40 mins.  (OR YOU CAN CHEAT LIKE ME AND USE THE DOUGH SETTING ON YOUR BREAD MACHINE!)

Knead dough on a floured surface, then roll out until it is 2cm / 3/4 inch thick.  Cut out rounds with a biscuit cutter and sprinkle each round with the semolina.  Transfer rounds to a baking sheet, cover and leave for 30 mins. 

heat a griddle or large frying pan over a medium heat - add muffins and cook for 7 -8 mins on each side until golden brown.

Delicious buttered hot straight from the pan, or toasted with scrambled eggs as we did for tea tonight.

5 comments:

  1. I've never made proper muffins (as opposed to American ones) before. I don't know why- I'm no stranger to yeasted doughs. They look just the thing for a freezing afternoon. must give them a go.

    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've missed so many beautiful posts! And a giveaway! love everything and have to go and have a good read! and come back sooner!!!
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those muffins look lush, and the new hat is pretty smart too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a brilliant picture at the top! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to try your engish muffin recipes , everything looks so great,, i try to eat healthy but , i like my tea with something sweet also, the little pleasures of life. in moderation of course :) thanks i can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete