Tuesday, 11 January 2011

Are you an Anorak?

When I was a kid one of my greatest joys in life was reading my weekly edition of the Beano comic.  Unfortunately kids comics/magazines aren't what they used to be, and more often than not I try and steer my boys away from the trashy children's magazines on display in the supermarket as I feel most are a complete and utter waste of money, sucking the kids in with the free plasticy rubbish sellotaped to the front cover.

With this in mind, it was a complete joy to stumble upon 'Anorak' magazine -'the happy mag for kids'!



The magazine itself is printed on lovely heavy quality matt paper and is jammed packed with cool illustrations, cartoons, facts, puzzles and colouring pictures.

Unfortunately you are unlikely to find it on a supermarket shelf - I bought this copy from an independent bookshop in Edinburgh (Analogue books - very cool shop!) but you can buy it online, or  give a subscription to a child as a present perhaps? It's also worth checking their website, they even have a blog, bursting with fab ideas and illustrations - - you definitely don't have to be a kid to enjoy it!

7 comments:

  1. Just been over to the website, these comics look great, thanks for the link. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that comic,I never see it now as all the good bookshops like 'borders' are gone, but after seeing your post I am going to seek it out again. You are spot on about kids comics today, ooh apart from the charlie and lola one which I still buy (for myself!) Have a lovely week :)
    Jane x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow what a great mag,and just up our street, I would love to get a subscription. It is so unusual. Jane, I love Charlie and Lola too x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might well be an anorak now! The other thing is, the mainstream comics always seem really "busy" which really doesn't suit all children by any stretch of the imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never heard of Anorak before, but how cool! Thanks for showing that.

    I've passed along a "Stylish Blogger" award to you since I enjoy your posts so much, you can see my post here:

    http://twistedstrands.blogspot.com/2011/01/no-snow-day-here.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. we already subscribe to that - is lovely..... x

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks like one hell of a fun comic! i agree about kids comics, it's all about Miley Cyrus and buy this buy that!
    I've loved having a catch up of your last few posts! enjoy the rest of your weekend
    XXXXX

    ReplyDelete