Monday, 10 January 2011

Chocolate Biscuits..

I have a terrible sweet tooth and my biggest weakness has always been biscuits.  This goes right back to my childhood where I was often caught red-handed with biscuits hiding in my hand as well as a couple tucked up my sleeve.  Of course now I am an all grown up I have much more self-restraint....hmmm, yes...
Usually when I bake for the family I try and make slightly healthier things. I try and avoid recipes with too much butter and substitute sugar for honey, that kind of thing.  Yesterday I just fancied making something sweet and tasty, and these chocolate cream sandwich biscuits ticked all the boxes!

I have to say, for me they were a 10 out of 10 kind of biscuit - very tasty and of course they are now all finished.
Here's the recipe, I thought I would share it with you just so as I am not the only one breaking the January healthy eating code...

Chocolate Cream Sandwiches
125g Butter, softened
75g icing sugar
115g plain flour
40g Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 160C/325F/gas mark 3.
Place the butter and icing sugar in a bowl, and beat until light and fluffy.  Sift the flour, cocoa powder and cinnamon into the mixture and mix to form a dough.
Place the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out (very important, as stops the dough sticking)until dough is 3mm (1/8inch) thick. Cut out rounds (you choose the size!) place on baking sheet and bake for 15 mins, or until firm to touch.  Once cool, sandwich together with a filling of your choice (or eat them on their own unsandwiched)

I made a vanilla butter cream icing for the filling (butter, icing sugar, vanilla extract), sorry I don't have measurements for this, I normally just guess the amounts, and it's a good excuse to taste as you go!!

And just to confirm to you that I have defiantly fallen off the January wagon - immediately after making the chocolate biscuits I tried my hand at some shortbread - this is what we had for pudding tonight - well, you need a lift on a Monday night, don't you?

4 comments:

  1. Ooh look at all that yumminess, delicious!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know my address..leftovers appreciated!
    gonna try those choc cream sandwiches ..thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Om nom nom...those look fab.
    For our Monday lift, we were exceptionally lazy & got some cupcakes from Blackbird Bakery.
    I repeat om nom nom...

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum, but drinking pints over xmas leaves me slightly too big for my clothes

    ReplyDelete