Tuesday, 17 May 2011

Souper


Curried lentil soup for lunch today (and a good excuse to showcase my new olive wood ladle!).  I have to admit to mostly only making soup in colder weather, but recently I have been coming round to the idea that it is a useful and filling lunch whatever the weather and  (another veg portion) when time is short. 

My place of work is only a ten minute walk away, so on work days I consider myself very lucky to be able to come home for lunch - there is something so nice about opening the front door to an empty, quiet house. Soup ticks all the boxes on the working lunch front - I never bother with a recipe, for this particular soup I fried an onion with some chopped up corguette, added a tablespoon of curry paste, red lentils and stock - you could always add some coconut milk too if you wanted - souper delicous! What's your lunchtime staple?

6 comments:

  1. That looks just the ticket for todays weather, warming the cockles, I just had boring oatcakes with hoummus today but livened it up with a gingerbread man :) have a lovely day, from Jane x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, that looks delicious Elaine. I am defnitely a soup girl on colder days, otherwise it's a salad with nuts/beans and some new potatoes or couscous. Followed by fruit and then a cup of tea and maybe a wee biscuit/fruit loaf piece.
    Love our ladle by the way, sure beats my old stainless steel one! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh i do spicy lentil soup made with 250g red lentils, 1 onion browned, 1 large carrot, a veggie stock cube and then a teaspoon of corriander and a teaspoon of cumin, oh and as much water as will fit in the pan, then just bring to boil for about 30 min. I always make a big pot planning for it to last a couple of days but it never does, it's yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmmm. I have been a soup-for-lunch-gal for a while now (sandwiches just don't keep me going for the day) and I'm always on the lookout for something new. Lentils: love, curry: love, it's a sure-fired winner for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, may have to try this combo - sounds right up my street.
    I served a heart warming bowl of soup to Cleggy almost every day last month (outside, sunshine, 20 degrees...) and now I've got a fridge full of salad it's gone cold!
    Nice spoon BTW
    fee x
    (have done my award post - thanks again!)

    ReplyDelete