Sunday, 12 June 2011

A break..

I think it must be at least 2 weeks since I blogged.  At the moment we are all  on count down mode until the school holidays, and in 3 weeks time we are heading off to Chicago to visit my brother-in-law. In the mean time I feel like I have a small mountain to climb before we get there - Birthday Party, Cub Camp, football matches, relatives visiting, end of term nights out etc..etc.. Football training/matches for our two sons are more or less taking over at weekends right now, so when I heard that there was to be no football this weekend (yippee!) I put my foot down, demanding some family time away in the caravan.  Now, the beauty of going away for the weekend in the caravan is that it is actually a break for me - no housework, minimum cooking, no washing and the boys are normally fairly content and occupied cycling around the camp or playing with new friends they have just met - it also means that we actually get to talk to each other and reconnect as a family. With this in mind, we didn't want to travel too far on a Friday night, so opted for a site in the Glenesk valley, roughly 50 minutes drive away.  When we arrived on Friday evening the camp looked like this:



But...in true Scottish Summer weather tradition, on Saturday morning we woke to rain - teaming down...all day! We made the most of it, being hardy Northerners after all..


(The campsite had a certain retro feel to the place - couldn't resist a photo of this fab table in the dish washing room)

Made good use of the 'recreation room', read lots of books, visited a local beach town for lunch, drank lots of tea and played Scrabble (what a revelation - the boys are actually old enough now to be able to hold their own in a game!)

and when bed time came around there wasn't a word of complaint from the boys about climbing into their cosy bunks
So here I am on Sunday night - home, rested and hopefully ready for that climb..♥

7 comments:

  1. looks so relaxing, i can't wait for the school hols xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous time away, together, reconnecting... nothing like a bit of camping for that. We have our camping planned for the summer hols, hope it doesn't rain as we are not quite as hardy as you guys are xox happy hiking and climbing up the mountain and boy what a joy it will be to reach the summit xox P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up with the lists Elaine - you need to go to Chicago chilled!
    Lovely picture - especially that lake.
    Looking forward to some camping in the summer - lets hope we haven't already had it!
    fee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the end of term mountain that requires climbing prior to a long (although not long enough for me!) summer with plenty of pyjama and play time. Spent the day at Landmark at Carrbridge yesterday - it was a birthday treat for my 7 year old daughter and she had SUCH fun. This week is my biggest hurdle and then hopefully a slow(er) couple of weeks to the end of term.
    Found your blog a couple off weeks ago. I'm a fellow Aberdeenshire resider so it was lovely to find a blog from within the 'Shire! Maybe next year I'll find the time and inclination to write my own...........
    Enjoy the ride, Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I've just stumbled across your blog and thought I'd stop by to say 'hello'. It looks like you had a lovely break away, can't beat a camping holiday in my eyes! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you made the most of the rainy weather. It's always nice to get away. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a fab time. I absolutely love watching kids read, don't you? Great blog. x

    ReplyDelete