Sunday, 26 June 2011

Summer Reads

Read More - Bookmark by KnitStorm

I can hardly believe that we have only 1 more week left at school/work before we head off on our summer holiday.  This year we have a very big and exciting trip planned - Chicago for 2 weeks visiting my brother in law, where we will spend 1 week in the city and another at a beach house on lake Michigan.  I am beside myself with excitement even though I have a 'list' longer than my arm of things I have to do before we leave!  Tonight I am going to browse Amazon and try and load up my Kindle with some good books to keep me occupied during the long flight and for reading for pleasure during the holiday.  This is the first trip we have made where I have had my Kindle instead of my ration on paperbacks and I intend to take full advantage a having a well stocked library of interesting books -  I have added a couple already (see top 2 of side bar) and was thinking of adding 'Water for Elephants' and maybe the new '44 Scotland Street 'book by Alexander McCall Smith  - so, any recommendations from all you well read people out there?

9 comments:

  1. yes, go the Alexander McCall Smith book for sure!!!
    I love his books, so gentle and funny.
    Since you're going to Chicago, you could try some Sara Paretski, most of her books are set there, and are a good read.
    Or I've just finished a Karin Slaughter (appropriately named) book, all of hers are great.
    Your holiday sounds amazing- hope you have a fantastic time x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My three top picks would be -
    The Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafon
    Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro
    One Day, David Nicholls

    For me, these were all books that I just couldn't put down. Enjoy your holiday! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like the best holiday... the only book I'd ever recommend is 'walk two moons' by Sharon Creech.. its a childrens novel but it is brilliant and I missed Morrissey at Glasto as I was watching two women and a man pretend to be Doris Day???? not much difference I suppose :) x x x x x x Have a brilliant holiday x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently read 'The rain before it falls' by Jonathan Coe, 'Generation A' by Douglas Coupland, and 'Trespass' by Rose Tremain. All quick easy reads.
    I'm now starting on the 'Game of Thrones' books (there are loads of them) after very much enjoying the TV series.
    I'm not surprised you're excited - your holiday sounds like it's going to be fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister went to Chicago for a year on a Teacher Exchange Visit and she hasn`t been the same since she came home! She absolutely LOVED Chicago - sure you will too, Lucky Duck!
    Books of Choice would be `The Lacuna` and `Prodigal Summer`, both by Barbara Kingsolver. Enjoy. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. your holiday sounds amazing! I've loved my kindle (you were right, of course). Didn't realise there was a new AM'cS book out - love that series. get that for sure - and let us know if any of the other recommendations are good!
    fee x

    ReplyDelete
  7. The people of the book - can't remember who wrote it but a great read. Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, I love the book mark! Adorable! And secondly, I have recently finished 2 books and both were awesome.

    A Long and Fatal Love Chase by Louisa May Alcott
    and
    How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting, Chicago! Have fun looking for more novels to dive in to. One day I will find the time to read more, as soon as I pick up a book, I get all sleepy.

    ReplyDelete