Monday, 18 July 2011

USA Trip 2011 : Week 1 - South Haven, Michigan

Steps leading to the beach at South Haven,
We spent the first week of our holidays by the lake in a small town in Michigan (approx 2 hours drive from Chicago) called South Haven.  This was the relaxing part of the trip, a nice contrast to the hustle and bustle of Chicago- the weather was perfect and we literally did nothing except go for walks, swim, read, play a bit of sport, eat and drink.  My brother in law came along with us, so the adult to child ratio was 3:2 - what a luxury! we took full advantage of this - I even managed the odd daytime nap

The Octagon House
We stayed in a lakeside 'condo' called the Octagon house (we had the upper part of the building) - it was pure American luxury - massive fridge/freezer with ice machine and water chiller, (is this a little weird that I am getting so excited over a fridge?)  glorious decking that we ate all our meals on, shared swimming pool (there was never anyone else there)  and huge TV with a gazillion channels (the 2 men in the party were in 7th heaven once they had argued over who got to hold the control)

4th of July Firework Picnic
The weekend we arrived in South Haven happened to be the 4th of July Holiday, so were lucky enough to be able to go along to the 'Harbour side' fire work display - the sky that particular night was ablaze with the most gorgeous sunset.

Lake Michigan itself is a huge expanse of water -  118 miles wide and 307 miles long. The beaches and the water itself are amazingly clean with beautiful white sand.

I knew from guide books that the area itself was home to a lot of antique villages and shops, however being the only female on the trip I really was fighting a loosing battle trying to persuade the others to partake in a spot of antiquing with me - I did however manage to wangle a visit to a roadside Antique center - It was brilliant! full of the most interesting items, - defiantly a hi light for me, even if both children refused to get out of the car!!

Ahhhh South Haven - what a wonderful place....

10 comments:

  1. Your pictures and description have made me green with envy. What a stunningly beautiful place. A holiday like this would suit me just fine. Melanie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaah a haven holiday!!
    Looks amazing Elaine that first picture just looks so full of promise..and seems it delivered!
    Whenever I visit an antique place abroad I always have a small panic that I'm going to have to leave something behind because it won't fit in a case (or else spend the equivalent of the cost of the holiday on freight!)
    With you on the fridge - we had a super duper one on hols - what a treat.
    Don't you just LOVE holidays?
    fee x
    (looking forward to your reading recommendations)
    (I have nothing to blog about. Nothing!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are beautiful, looks like an amazing holiday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fabulous... I'm green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, what beautiful pictures and what a gorgeous place to vacation!! Sorry you didnt get more antiquing done but that roadside stop was amazing!!! Thanks for sharing South Haven with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am enjoying reading about your trip to America. I am an American and lived most of my life in SW Pennsylvania. We also lived in Florida and the state of Washington {not to be confused with Washington D.C} I like reading some of the things you say like "american luxury" and the fridge with the ice maker and water chiller. Oh and the American breakfast. I just love it because this is just normal everyday stuff for me, but it is exciting to see what stands out for you. I have always been interested in different cultures. Hoping you will write more about your trip to the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful house-and the sunset is stunning. You look like you are having an amzing time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow it looks amazing, I need to go back for another look at the pics....looking forward to hearing more jolly holiday tales x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That house looks amazing - love love love the decking. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there,
    My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about South Haven to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete