Monday, 12 September 2011

The Book Group.


I am a voracious reader.  There has never been a time in my adult life when I haven't had a book 'on the go', so I was never really that bothered about joining one of the many book groups in our local area - imagine being told what to read!  Two years ago a few of my close friends wanted to start up a small, informal book group and I was persuaded to go along and be part of it.  It's been a mixed experience for me - on one hand the social side it great - we meet at someones house approximately once a month, drink too much wine and eat far too many crisps.  To start with we all felt slightly shy  and awkward about critiquing the book, so discussions were short, but as the months progressed, we became better - sometimes we actually spend a whole hour talking about the book before moving on to other more pressing topics.  Some of the book have been (in my opinion) awful, others a real revelation and despite all the 'no shows' and the 'non readers', we are now embarking on our third year.

 Last week we chose the books for the next 6 months - it was quite a heated debate, but we finally came to the agreement of reading the above books.  I have read 'The Reluctant Fundamentalist', but the other titles I have not -looks like a fairly interesting selection - I'm quite looking forward to reading all of them!  Comments anyone?

4 comments:

  1. I have not read any of them, my husband and son have read Game of Thrones, and LOVED it!
    I like the idea of a book club, but like you not too sure of the reality of it.
    Some friends and I started one quite a few years ago now, but yeah it became more about the drink, food and chat than the books.
    Good luck with yours, it sounds fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I joined a book group with a bunch of people I don't know very well so think I feel less self conscious discussing the book somehow. As a group we have just finished 'The Reluctant Fundamentalist' and I have also read the second two titles. I loved 'When God was a Rabbit' - a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tee hee - I hated God was a rabbit - which is why book groups are so much fun!
    I LOVE reading - just finished Water for Elephants - thank goodness as I couldn't cope with any more circus nightmares!!!
    fee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I am just properly getting back into reading after not having the time or energy for it with small children at home all day. It is getting in the way of crafting, but I do love a good book.
    From your list I have only read 'Game of Thrones' which I loved (after watching the TV series). I have since read the next 4 books in that series.
    Having looked up your list of books I think there's one or two I might read myself so thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete