Friday, 18 November 2011

❅Snowflake Garland with Pattern ❅


It's getting towards that time of year again so thought I would try my hand at a lacy snowflake
garland.


Very addictive and easy to make - you could rattle off a string of these in no time at all.  Due to the flimsy-ness of the thread  I used, I ended up having to pin and starch my snowflakes as the points were beginning to curl a bit.  I pinned each 'point' to a cork board and sprayed on a bit of fabric stiffener:-


....Left them to dry over night, and by morning I had a lovely firm string of snowflakes


For some reason I started off with a 6 point snowflake, but after hooking a couple more they ended up with only 5 - either way, they both look ok, so it's up to you if you want to add another point or not.  Here's the pattern but after 2 or 3 I promise you won't even need it!

Snowflake Garland   (written in US crochet terms)
Using a yarn of your choice with an appropriate hook size (I used crochet thread with a size 2mm hook):-

Chain 58

Count back to the 50th chain and  join the last 8 chain stitches from the hook with a sl st to form a ring of 8 chains.

Rnd 1: Ch 3, work 1 dc into ring, ch 3, * 2 dc into ring, ch 3 * rep from * 4 times (5 times if you want a 6 pointed flake), join with a sl st into top of beg ch-3.

Rnd 2: Sl st across until you get to the first ch-3 sp,  - ch 1, * 1 sc, ch 3, 1 sc, ch 6, 1 sc, ch 3, 1 sc*  into ch-3 sp, rep from * 5 times, (or 6)  join with a sl st into first sc.

chain 28, and the slip stitch into the 20th chain to form a ring of 8 and repeat the snow-flake again -continue in this way until the garland is your desired length - finish off with 50chains - this will give you enough length to tie up the garland at each end.

6 comments:

  1. These look great!!!
    What an awesome idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the snow flakes, very delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so pretty! thanks for sharing this adorable creation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love 'em! I must overcome my fear of crochet terms and have a go :)
    thankyou x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous!
    Am adding to very long to do list.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete