Sunday, 8 January 2012

Back to Life

Today is officially the last day of our 2 week Christmas holiday - back to school/work/life tomorrow, and as much as I am dreading it, in reality as a family we work best when in a routine and all this lazing around has left me feeling lethargic and sluggish.

 After 2 weeks of over eating, I am trying to start as I mean to go on with lots of healthy recipes and snacks for the boys.  Each day the boys are required to take a 'healthy' snack to school to have at morning playtime.  Most of the time I give them a slice of banana loaf, a muffin or a bag of plain popcorn, but when in a rush and the baking tins are empty I often give them a a bought granola/biscuit bar ('Natures Valley' I think).  These bars don't come cheap, so I thought I'd make my own.


I used a favourite oaty biscuit (cookie) recipe and packed the mixture tightly into a square tray before baking and then sliced them into bars.


Transportation is often a problem when sending home baking into school.  I usually put the item into a small paper bag, but as I didn't have any to hand I wrapped the bars in greaseproof paper and sealed with a sticker - all ready to pop into their school bags - one less thing to think about in the morning.



10 comments:

  1. what awesome packaging!!!
    That looks so great!
    I wish I had that sort of thing to take for my school lunch as a kid, instead of vegemite and wilted lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great, the packing is so delighfull too.
    Have a great day :)
    Mantha xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the stickers! I am going to find new recipes to for healthy snacks for my darlin lil ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! Sounds interesting and yummy. Nice packaging also. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will surely try this out.

    Take the test Your Health Quiz and find out how healthy you really are? I have taken the test and enjoyed a lot. Hope you too will enjoy it. Have Fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you on the going-back-to-normal-life stage. After the holiday busyness it was just so nice to get back to everyday routine and rhythm. I could feel the children were actually craving it and the moodiness and grumpiness stopped after getting back to normal. Oh and I love that packaging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that's organised!! We still have just over two weeks holidays left here in Oz and after 7 weeks of summer holidays I think we are all ready to go back to work and school (I can't believe I wrote that!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. not many boys are this lucky!....hope you have a good week Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back to normal is good - I think we need routine. Those days inbetween Christmas and New Year can get a bit 'lost' can't they. I've enjoyed your blog and seeing all your knitted and crocheted work. Will be back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. fab idea - and great packaging. We're trying to be healthy here, but I despair when I hear what they've eaten at school! (and I for one am missing my wine)

    I came across a book reccommendation you gave someone else in a blog comment...and have noted it!!!
    fee x

    ReplyDelete