Sunday, 19 February 2012

Easy Choccy Cake Recipe


I made a cake today - this chocolate cake, which is in fact the only chocolate cake I ever make as it is fail  proof, as well as being moist and quick to make  - I have made this cake literally hundreds of times and it never fails...

I usually bake the cake in just one tin as it always rises to a good height, but I was feeling fancy today so split the mixture between 2 tins and sandwiched the sponges together with a custard butter cream..

So, here's the recipe because you know everyone should have a really good chocolate cake recipe in their repertoire..

Moist Chocolate Cake

275g (10oz) self-raising flour
pinch of salt
3 tbsp of cocoa powder (not drinking chocolate)
150g (5oz) Sugar
1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
1/2  pt (300ml) milk
1/4 pt (150ml) Oil (vegetable or rapeseed or some other light oil)
3 tbsp of Syrup (I use maple or honey, sometimes date)

Heat oven to 350F or 180C (Gas mark4)

- Sift flour and cocoa into bowl, add sugar, salt and bicarb - mix
- Add milk, oil and syrup to dry ingredients and mix well
- Pour into a large baking tin, or 2 smaller ones
- Bake in oven for approximately 30mins or until skewer comes out cleanly

I made the custard cream filling up, but to give and approximate idea I just substituted a couple of tablespoons of custard powder for the icing sugar when making a standard butter cream.  Try this recipe for a really good chocolate icing:-

Easy Chocolate Icing
1 tbsp Cocoa
3 - 4 tbsp hot water
1 tbsp butter
100g (4 oz) icing sugar

put cocoa in a bowl and mix with hot water - beat in butter until smooth and then mix in the icing sugar - beat again until smooth

I reckon tomorrow would be a good day to make a cake.....!


1 comment:

  1. Ooooo, very lovely!
    I usually make my choccie cake with a choc icing, but your yellow custard cream icing looks dreamy.
    Thanks. Have bookmarked!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete