Monday, 29 October 2012

Biscuits...


I have spent most of my day today trying to put the house back together after 2 weeks of school holidays.  The House has been blissfully quiet with just the radio and Beau the cat for company.  Blogging has been sparse this year - Life is busy and time at a minimum.  I am about to increase my working days from 3 to 4 days a week, Monday being my day off.  I am feeling a tad apprehensive about this change and am trying my hardest to get organised in order to minimise the stress of running the house.  So I baked today - baking always makes me feel productive and means the tins are full for hungry boys after school.


 First up were digestives ( do they call them 'Graham Cookies' in the states?) - made with 100% wholewheat flour (big bonus).  The recipe came from this blog, and I have to say, despite their 'heavy' appearance they are sweet, crunchy and perfect for dipping.  I reckon they will keep quite well in an air-tight tin too. I have had this recipe in the back of my mind for a couple of weeks now and was intrigued to see they had 'Maple Essence' added to them - I was about to order a bottle from an online website (reluctantly paying the £3.00 added postage) when I stumbled upon a bottle in the deli section of our local Garden Centre...

 
To say I was chuffed is probably an understatement  - a great little addition to the baking cupboard, it adds a lovely subtle flavour to the biscuits ( and muffins, icing etc..)
 
 
Second into the oven today were an old favourite - ginger snaps. I urge you to try  making this biscuit - they are so easy and look like, in my opinion the perfect biscuit.
OK, deep breath....bring on the rest of the week.

5 comments:

  1. Good looking cookies, you have here-)) Nice to meet you, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tose biscuits look so good. I wanted to recommend a book I read recently - 'The Coward's Tale' by Vanessa Gebbie. I thought it one of the best books I've read for a long time. Good luck with the increased working days.
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Victoria! I love a book recommendation..going to see if I can get a kindle version now! x

      Delete
  3. Digestives are often compared to graham crackers or wafers if in Canada but they are not the same. The US crackers are drier than the Canadian ones as well.

    ReplyDelete